The following post contains affiliate links, however all opinions remain my own. See my full disclosure policy for more details.
I’m not a huge shopper, but I admit there’s just something fun about online shipping. Being able to buy pretty much anything from the comfort of your own home, and on your own time is amazing. I can buy clothes for my husband, toys for my l’il bub, groceries for our family, and essential oils for me, all while in bed at 1 AM on a Tuesday night if I wanted! And if you know what to look for, there are definitely some great deals to be had.
1. Search for Discount Codes – Probably the easiest way to save money whilst shopping online, but still worth mentioning. Discount and promo codes can be found on many deal sites such as Retailmenot.com. Simply do a search for brand name and coupon code and see if anything comes up. Make sure to check if they give a code for signing up for their mailing list, and the brand’s social media websites as well.
2. Cashback – The next best thing to an instant discount is cashback, getting money back from a purchase you made. One of the easiest and most popular way to do this is through Ebates (referral link). It’s really simple. You simply check to see if a site is on ebates, click through the link to the website you are looking for, and do your shopping as normal. Easy right? They even have an extension that you can add to your browser. Basically, what’s happening, is ebates is getting a commission when they send their buyers to shop at various sites, and they give you back part of what they earned. You can also earn money by having your friends sign up and make a purchase through your referral link. Click here to sign up for ebates with my referral code. Swagbucks (referral link) and MyPoints both have similar programs as well.
3. Exchange Reviews for Deep Discount or Free Products – If you don’t mind doing a short review, Snagshout is a great way to get items at a deep discount. Sellers can list their products for a deep discount, and buyers can snag the items in exchange for their honest review. It’s a great way for new sellers or items to get more reviews on their product, which improves their listing position in an Amazon search. Most items will still incur shipping costs, but this can be avoided if you have Amazon Prime, or complete a minimum purchase order. You can also typically only use one ‘snag’ per Amazon order, although you can snag a few items at a time. I’m using this, in conjunction with survey sites to help achieve my free Christmas goal.
4. Shop Used – Many items can be purchased second hand, such as toys, games, DVDs, clothes, books and cloth diapers. Check out sites like eBay to see if someone is selling what you are looking for. And sites like Swap.com, an online consignment store, has great deals on clothing for babies-teens, women’s and maternity, and toys! (Check out my review of swap.com here, or use my referral link for an additional 20% off plus free shipping on your first order). Getting used items can save a ton of money and can often be found in great condition.
5. Refer Friends – Many websites will offer incentives to you if you refer your friends to their shopping there as well. This is an excellent way to earn credits on websites, particularly if you have a strong social media following (and even if you don’t). Incentives vary from site to site, but every referral counts. Try sites like (using my referral codes ;-)) Grove Collaborative (formerly ePantry) for natural home cleaning products and goods, GrubMarket for local, organic produce and goods (cheaper than Whole Foods and delivered to your door!), Swap.com for clothing and toys, or Dreamhost for your webhosting needs. All have a referral program that can save you money on your purchases.
Shopping online can be fun, and save you quite a bit of money when you know what you’re doing. What’s your best tip for saving money while shopping online? Share your best tips below.